Thursday, December 29, 2005

Christmas Eve

Max and I were invited to my friend C's house for Christmas Eve dinner. (Max was also invited to a few other festivities but his heart, like mine, tends to go with good food.)It is always great to have someone else cook for you, but this supper was so far beyond great that is makes great seem bland.

We arrived at C's house around 5:30 pm. To my delight, I was greeted at the door with a pomegranate martini. (Max got a diet Coke) C used a fresh pomegranate to infuse vodka earlier in the week. The martini was 2 parts pomegranate vodka, 1 part Grand Marnier and 1 part cranberry juice. Beautiful AND DELIGHTFUL!



I brought a 3 cheese dip and she had Maytag bleu cheese we ate as appetizers. My 3 cheese dip was a hit and so easy. It can be made ahead and even frozen. It will definitely be a party staple at my house. It contained Feta, Monterey Jack, Parmesan, green onion, mayonnaise and butter. I baked it on baguette slices until bubbly and slightly browned. Yum!



I lent a few cloches to C in the fall so she could attempt to preserve some of the fresh herbs from her garden. To wit:



Her centerpeice of fresh thyme! Amazing.

The rest of her menu included: mixed green salad with mustard vinaigrette, wild rice stuffed red onions, cheesy creamed cauliflower, mashed potatoes, sugared yeast rolls (Max's favorite), and bacon wrapped filet mignon with green peppercorn cream sauce. I also made a Grand Marnier creme brulee we ate for dessert. Hard to imagine we could have squeezed anymore calories in there, but it was worth every single one I assure you.

Here we are digging in. To the lower right is Sophie the Beagle, strategically positioned to catch some crumbs.



We had a wonderful evening. Great food, great drinks, and great company. It just doesn't get any better than that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home